Sunday, July 25, 2010

Common Courtesy....Or At Least What I Thought Was Common.

It has been said that the 1987-88 generation was the last generation with common sense, courtesy, and a sense of pride in our culture. I am beginning to see that this statement is true. Allow me to elaborate.

While I agree that your unique upbringing will lead you to a specific mindset, I also believe that all generations have a general mindset that they share. Maybe it's the world events at the time, or some quantum weirdness yet to be discovered by science. Either way, we all share it.

However, it has come to my attention that most of the generation born after 1990 are completely deprived of any sense of decency and respect. Take walking up to counter or cashier, for example. Generation '87 would have no problem hanging up their cell phones or relieving there ears of the strain of ear buds. Generation '90, however, would scoff at the idea; even consider the idea or postponing a meaningless conversation an offensive one.

I've made posts before, challenging someone to tell me where and when the idea of chivalry died. In the last couple of weeks alone, I've seen women having doors shut in there face because the person in front had no concern, I've seen old ladies nearly run over and honked at, I've seen the abomination of the English language in all its putridity, and I've seen more than my share of young men completely disrespecting young women.

I'm sorry. Maybe I'm overreacting. Maybe times will always change, and there is nothing anyone can do about it. But I can't help but think that things should be better than this. Our country, our society is following in the footsteps of the ancient Roman Empire.

We are loosing our last great generation to mass media, corporate music, designer everything, and the almighty dollar bill. Dropout rates are at all time highs, science and math class attendance is at all time lows, and our children are growing up empty of useful knowledge. Just look at Facebook; the people who post that reading books is stupid or time wasting are greater in number than the stars on a clear night.

I'm sorry, again. This has got to change.

WPTSJKD64CZS

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home