Tuesday, August 03, 2010

Gamestop: Number One Hamtramck Target

Early Monday morning, Gamestop once again fell victim to broken windows, and possible stolen merchandise. As I was walking to work, I noticed that both front windows had been shattered, and interior shelves near the windows were knocked down. The emergency window people were already on the scene, putting wooden boards up.

So, here's my humble question: Why doesn't anyone do anything to prevent this from happening. It happens all the time at the same place. You'd think the police would set up one of the new cameras on the traffic pole next door; or maybe the owner would invest in some kind of shatterproof glass. One thing is most clear, something needs to be done about this.

Not only is this a constant blemish on Hamtramck's already shaky crime count, it is bad for business. Hamtramck is about to loose one of its busiest stores due to constant robbery. The worst part? It's not Hamtramck residents doing the breaking and entering, it's Detroit residents coming from across 75 and from Highland Park.

I'm sorry, but I sincerely pissed off. I love this city, but everyday I come closer and closer to packing up and never looking back.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep, for sure. Thanks to some landlords who love to rent to the section 8 types, as well as not doing any type of criminal background checks, this city is going to shit fast. I agree to a point about the crime coming from outside our borders, but thanks to these greedy landlords just in it for a quick cash grab, we are not going to have to look past our borders to see the source of crime. Add the stupidity of "schools of choice" (same cash grab, just different people doing the grabbing), along with people voting STRICTLY along ethnic/religious lines, I don't see much of a future here.

12:30 AM  
Blogger Matthew Herch said...

I agree with you on all those points. Things are getting bad fast. Hard to believe that just 5 years ago the city was a decent place to live. Now look at it. My family and I are planning to move north in March. You have to take a risk to better your life. I think people get stuck here because they don't take those risks. It's time to flee while we still have time.

11:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I lived in Hamtramck and attended St. Florian school (while it was still around) from 1st to 6th grade, after which my family moved to Philadelphia. I'm now at a university in Arizona. Sometimes, I'll have periods of nostalgia, when I'll go on the Hamtramck Star website and see if I can find anything interesting (that's how I got here). I remember being fascinated by the Game Stop during my childhood (if I remember correctly, it opened up not too long before I moved), and even then there were already robbery attempts, etc. (I believe). It does seem that it would make sense for the store to invest in some form of anti-theft protection (what about those sliding grate type things that are on most other stores?). Also, on a side note, Matthew, is the McDonald's in the background of your profile picture the one that's across the street from that shopping center that has/had the Farmer Jack?

1:35 AM  
Blogger Matthew Herch said...

Yes, that is the McDonalds across from the former Farmer Jack. It is now a Glory Foods. Good service there, though the prices are kinda steep.

6:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home