Tuesday, October 05, 2010

Forgotten Hamtramck Landmarks -- A Madman Project

Hey all,

 
I am beginning my first madman project, which is entitled "Forgotten Hamtramck Landmarks." These aren't your normal popular landmarks, though. These are silly, satirical, and strange landmarks that have either been lost to time, or forgotten by most.

 
I'll be needing some help with this. I'll list a couple of ideas here and I would like it if some of you could let me know about the origin of the landmarks? Okay, here we go:

 
  • Hamtramck City Hall: An outhouse structure built across from the former Outer Limits Bar. It was built as political satire by a Hamtramck resident. More info needed please.

  • Hamtramck, Rat City USA sign: Erected next to the current Glory Foods when it was Farmer Jack's, someone built this very elaborate sign as a homage to Hamtramck's rat problem. Pictures?

  • Loyal Order of the Ratelope: A small logo on the "Whiskey In A Jar" sign refers to this Loyal Order. The logo is so silly, depicting a rat with antlers.


  • Apples Galore!: Large red apples were painted all over Hamtramck by someone. I really need more info about this.


  • The Sticker Transformer: Located on Trowbridge and Joseph Campau, this power transformer was covered with band stickers, homemade stickers, and political stickers. It was quite a sight. Unfortunately, it was recently painted over.


  • Cement Benches: Everyone remembers the cement benches that could be found all over Hamtramck. Unfortunately, the only one I know of that survives is located on Joseph Campau across from Little Caesars.

 
There are many, many more ideas that I have brewing, but I need more time to think. This should tide you over 'til then.

 
ALSO:
Don't forget that Sunday, October 10th is Zombie Day. Come see me walk as a zombie at 3pm on the corner of Beubien and Lafeyette in Greektown. I'll also be seen walking Hamtramck's streets until late Sunday night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home