Monday, October 25, 2010

Pinguy OS: A Very Nice Windows Alternative

  I have always been pretty happy with Windows. Starting with Windows 98 and ending at Windows 7, my various computers have seen the many incarnations of Microsoft's powerhouse. However, recently I've been finding that Windows is simply not providing the kind of applications and development environment I require.
  In an effort to find a better alternative, I tried various distributions of the Linux OS. I tried everything from Ubuntu to Fedora, but everything required massive amounts of configuration, compiling, and coding. It's not that I can't do the work, but it simply required too much of my time.
  Finally, I discovered Pinguy OS. Pinguy is a heavily modified version of Ubuntu Linux. It comes preconfigured "out of the box." And when I say preconfigured, I mean it! This OS came with most of the programs I needed preinstalled and ready to go. Installing the remaining software I needed was so easy; I hesitate to say it was easier than installing on Windows. Of course, the high standards of security, customization, and development were all still there.
  Of all the OSs I've used in the past couple of months, Pinguy blew my mind.
So, from a website developer/blogger to the rest of you, I suggest trying Pinguy OS out. If you have a second computer or would like to try dual booting, I recommend giving it a whirl.
  As I type this post, I am using Pinguy on my second desktop. I still have Windows 7 on my design station, but for general computing and anything that requires a higher level of security, I am using Pinguy.
  Have a good night now!

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home